INTRODUCTION: BY INSTALLING, USING OR OTHERWISE ACCESSING THE SHIELDIL APPLICATION FROM ANY DEVICE, MOBILE OR OTHERWISE, YOU ARE AGREEING TO ABIDE BY THE TERMS OF SERVICE AND CONDITIONS OF THIS PRIVACY NOTICE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS, DO NOT DOWNLOAD AND/OR ACCESS OUR APPLICATION. BY USING THIS APPLICATION, AND SUBJECT TO YOUR EXPLICIT OPT-IN CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EXPOSURE NOTIFICATION SYSTEM, TO YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER PROVIDING YOUR TEST RESULTS AND YOUR PERSONAL VACCINATION RECORDS, AND TO CONNECTING TEST RESULTS AND YOUR PERSONAL VACCINATION RECORDS FROM YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER WITH THE SHIELDIL APPLICATION, YOU ARE CONSENTING TO THE COLLECTION, USE, AND DISCLOSURE OF INFORMATION IN ACCORDANCE WITH THIS PRIVACY NOTICE.
This Privacy Notice sets forth how your information is collected, used, transferred, and stored through the mobile application titled “SHIELDIL” (“Application”) and the terms and conditions governing your use of the Application. The Application was created by the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and is owned by the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois (“University”, “we”, “our”, “us”) and is intended for use only by persons physically present in the United States. The purpose of this Application is to:
- Provide you with the ability to track your testing history and to display your status on the Application home screen. The status may be used to help determine if you are permitted to access certain facilities as determined by your school, employer, or sponsoring institution as applicable.
- Provide you with the ability to share your vaccination records within the SHIELDIL application and to display your vaccination status on the Application home screen.
- To schedule appointments for testing.
1. What Information May the Application Collect from You?
- Personally Identifiable Information (“PII”). “Personally Identifiable Information” for purposes of this Privacy Notice means information that can be used to identify, contact, or locate an individual, as well as test results, vaccination records, and reported symptoms. The Application may collect the following PII from you,: your name, your email address, your physical address, your mobile phone number, your demographic information including race and ethnicity, your test results, your vaccination records, any voluntarily reported symptoms, and your building access status.
- Location. The Application does not access, collect, or store any location data, including GPS data. Automatic Collection of Non-Personal Information (“Non-PII”). The Application may collect certain non-personal information automatically that may not, on its own, permit direct association with any specific individual. The following are some examples of non-personal information that may be collected: usage, including frequency of access, duration, and time of access. By using the Application, you are consenting to the collection, use, and disclosure, of non-personal information by the Application.
- Your Data. All PII and non-PII data will be stored on Amazon Web Services servers (“Servers”). Your PII and non-PII will also be stored in the Application. In particular:
- Your building access, test results and reported symptoms are stored encrypted on Servers and are decrypted only on your device by this Application when you want to view the history. Only you can view this information.
- We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the PII submitted to the Application. No method of transmission, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
- How Are Your Test Results Submitted to the Application? Your healthcare provider may have a mechanism to provide your test results automatically to the Application.
2. How is Your Information Used?
Your PII is used to establish and display your building access status, to determine your testing frequency and vaccination status. Your building access status may be established based on your test results, your vaccination status, your self-reported symptoms, and any recent exposure notifications you receive.
Non-PII may be used for statistical analysis related to use of the Application and for research related to the pandemic subject to applicable law and University policy.
The Application may access and use data via your device’s camera. The purpose of this use of the camera is to scan your encrypted Quick Response (QR) key from another device.
The Application may access and use data in the form of photos, videos or files, and may read data from and write data to external storage. The purpose of the access to photos, videos, and files is to save and load your QR key.
3. Is Your Personally Identifiable Information Shared?
Your building access status may be shared with your school, employer or sponsoring institution. This information is stored on Servers to support consistent and efficient building access. The remainder of your PII is not shared and is stored on Servers in encrypted format and can only be decrypted on your mobile device.
4. Changes to This Privacy Notice
We may amend this Privacy Notice from time to time. If we change this Privacy Notice we will post the changes on . Your continued use of the Application after any such changes will constitute your acceptance of the updated Privacy Notice. If you do not wish to accept the revised Privacy Notice, you must not use or access (or continue to use or access) our Application. Please regularly check our Application or website to determine if the Privacy Notice has been updated and to review those changes before deciding whether or not to access (or continue to access) the Application.
SHIELDIL Terms of Service
These terms will apply to you because you (“End User”) are using, installing, or otherwise accessing the mobile application (“Application”), including all incorporated materials in the Application (such as text, data, information, audio, videos, graphics or photographs), (“Materials”) of The Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois (“University”). By clicking “Accept”:
- You hereby confirm that you have read and accept these Terms of Service and the Mobile Privacy Notice, the (“Agreements”).
- Permitted uses of Application: As End User you agree to use the Application only as provided, and Materials only as an integral component of the Application. You agree that You are only permitted to use the Application for personal or educational purposes and shall not use the Application for research or commercial purpose, unless You obtain written consent from the University, email@example.com.
- As End User you agree not to reverse-compile, reverse-assemble, decompile, disassemble, decrypt, extract, or otherwise reverse-engineer or modify the Application.
- You hereby accept that all patents, copyrights, trade secrets and other proprietary rights in or related to the Application are and will remain the exclusive property of University, whether or not specifically recognized or perfected under applicable law. As End User you will not take any action that jeopardizes University’s proprietary rights. As End User you acknowledge and agree that you acquire no right in the Application, except the limited use license specified in Section 2. University will own all rights in any copy of the Application or any derivative work thereof, including any further improvement or development of the Application by University or You.
- Not intended as medical advice, for treatment or diagnostic use. You acknowledge that the Application and incorporated Materials are for information only, and are not intended to be used or relied on as medical advice, for diagnosis or treatment of any kind. University disclaims responsibility or liability for any loss or injury that may be incurred as a result of the use of the Application. You should always consult a medical or other professional if diagnosis, treatment and/or advice is needed. Do not disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it due to your use of the Application.
- YOU UNDERSTAND THAT UNIVERSITY MAKES NO WARRANTIES OR REPRESENTATIONS CONCERNING THE APPLICATION, OR ANY OTHER MATERIALS, SERVICES, INFORMATION, OR TECHNOLOGY, AND UNIVERSITY EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATION OF ANY KIND OR NATURE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITTLE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT. YOU HAVE SOLE RESPONSIBILITY FOR ADEQUATE PROTECTION AND BACKUP OF DATA AND/OR EQUIPMENT USED IN CONNECTION WITH THE APPLICATION.UNIVERSITY DISCLAIMS ANY WARRANTY THAT THE APPLICATION, IS FREE OF VIRUSES, WORMS, OR OTHER CODE OR FEATURES THAT MANIFEST CONTAMINATING, DESTRUCTIVE OR OTHERWISE OBJECTIONABLE PROPERTIES.
- You accept that under no circumstances will University or its affiliates, including its trustees, directors, officers, faculty, staff, students, employees, consultants and agents, or anyone on its behalf shall be responsible or liable to you or to any third party for any reason whatsoever including consequential, indirect, special, punitive or incidental damages or lost profits, damage to reputation, fee, expense, financial or non-financial whether foreseeable or unforeseeable, based on your claims as End User or claims of any other party arising out of breach or failure of express or implied warranty, breach of contract, misrepresentation, negligence, strict liability in tort, failure of any remedy to achieve its essential purpose, or otherwise, notwithstanding the form in which any legal or equitable action may be brought, as result with the use of the Application, product or service.
- You acknowledge that this Application is only intended for use in the United States of America.
- You hereby irrevocably release University and its affiliates from any liability of any kind and in no event will University be liable for damages or losses that exceed, in the aggregate, the amount of fees paid by you as End User for the products that gave rise to such damages or losses for each respective breach or series of related breaches.
- You expressly agree that these Agreements, including without limitation, disclaimers above and resolution of disputes thereof are governed by the laws of the State of Illinois and submit to exclusive jurisdiction in the Illinois Court of Claims. The laws of the State of Illinois, U.S.A., shall apply to all uses of the Application. You agree that use shall conform to all applicable laws and regulations and shall not violate the rights of any third parties.
All PII is collected and used to support COVID-19-related efforts and epidemiological research.